In the ever-evolving realm of orthopaedic surgery, innovation is the cornerstone that propels the field into new dimensions of patient care and surgical excellence. Among the vanguards of this transformative movement is Prof. Paul Lee, an esteemed Orthopaedic Surgeon and Sports Medicine expert based in 108 Harley Street and Weymouth Street Hospital, London. With a robust academic and clinical portfolio, Prof. Lee is not just on the frontline of orthopaedic surgical practice, but also on the cutting edge of using novel surgical techniques. One of such remarkable contributions is the SPAIRE (Spare Piriformis And Internus, Repair Externus) Hip Replacement technique, a novel method meticulously designed to ameliorate the drawbacks commonly associated with traditional hip replacement surgeries.
Using the United Orthopaedic Conformity stem and UDM cup, Prof. Lee is a champion of performing total hip arthroplasty (THA) using the SPAIRE technique.
The SPAIRE Technique: A Glimpse into the Future
The SPAIRE Hip Replacement technique stands out with its muscle-sparing mini-posterior approach to the hip. This unique approach is tailored to cause minimal damage to the surrounding tendons and muscles, significantly enhancing the post-operative recovery process. Unlike traditional hip replacements which may involve cutting through crucial posterior tendons, the SPAIRE technique only necessitates the division and subsequent repair of the obturator externus tendon, leaving other key tendons and muscles intact. This meticulous approach aids in significantly reducing post-operative pain and accelerating the rehabilitation process, marking a substantial stride towards improving patient outcomes.
The SPAIRE Hip Replacement technique is a novel method that has been developed to mitigate the drawbacks associated with traditional hip replacement surgeries. Below are the intricate details of the SPAIRE Hip Replacement technique:
1. Surgical Approach:
• The SPAIRE technique employs a muscle-sparing mini-posterior approach to the hip, which is designed to cause minimal damage to the surrounding tendons and muscles, significantly enhancing the post-operative recovery process.
2. Tendon Management:
• Unlike traditional hip replacements which approach through the posterior tendons known to be of great importance when rising from a seated position or during walking or climbing stairs, the SPAIRE technique only involves the division and subsequent repair of the obturator externus tendon, leaving other key tendons and muscles intact.
3. Functional Outcomes:
• The SPAIRE technique has been shown to have no disadvantage in terms of functional outcomes when compared to traditional methods. Patients undergoing this procedure are encouraged to exercise the hip through a full range of motion immediately post-surgery, as the on-table stability provided by the SPAIRE technique is impressive. This technique enhances the level of function and mobility in patients, according to ongoing randomised prospective studies.
4. Preservation of Muscles and Tendons:
• The preservation of the “short external rotator” muscle group, which serves primarily as an abductor and extensor of the flexed hip, is a hallmark of the SPAIRE technique. This preservation has a profound influence on weight-bearing, rising, and propulsive motions, significantly enhancing the patient’s mobility post-surgery.
5. Reduced Tendon Damage:
• Fewer tendons are damaged using the SPAIRE technique compared to any other approach to the hip, including Direct Anterior and Direct Superior approaches. This is primarily due to the muscle-sparing posterior approach that the SPAIRE technique employs.
6. Post-operative Restrictions:
• One of the significant advantages of the SPAIRE technique is the absence of post-operative restrictions on the patient, who is immediately encouraged to exercise the hip through a full range of motion. This lack of restriction speeds up the rehabilitation process and returns the patient to normal functionality quicker.
7. Prospective Studies and Adoption:
• The SPAIRE technique is undergoing randomised prospective studies to evaluate its benefits using objective measurements of gait and muscle power as well as functional and patient-reported outcomes. It is believed that this technique may become the default technique for hemi- and total- hip arthroplasty through a posterior approach and for all hip fracture arthroplasty cases.
8. Professional Adoption:
• Some surgeons have already adopted the SPAIRE technique for all routine hip arthroplasties and are comparing the outcomes with traditional methods to gather comprehensive data on its advantages.
9. SPAIRE Hip Instruments:
• SPAIRE Hip Instruments are exclusively crafted to accommodate the unique approach of the SPAIRE technique, emphasising the specialised nature of this procedure.
The SPAIRE Hip Replacement technique is a significant stride toward minimising the adverse effects associated with traditional hip replacement surgeries. Its muscle-sparing approach, minimal tendon damage, and enhanced post-operative functionality make it a promising alternative in the realm of orthopaedic surgery.
Setting the Pace in Orthopaedic Excellence
As Prof. Lee continues to trailblaze the path of orthopaedic innovation with the SPAIRE Hip Replacement technique, he embodies the epitome of medical excellence and patient-centric care. His notable contributions are not only a boon to the medical community but a beacon of hope for individuals seeking a life free from the shackles of hip joint ailments. Prof. Lee’s work resonates with the ethos of advancing surgical techniques to foster better patient outcomes, underscoring the profound impact of the SPAIRE technique in the sphere of hip arthroplasty.
In a world where medical advancements transmute the impossible into possible, Prof. Lee, with his SPAIRE Hip Replacement technique, stands as a colossal figure leading the charge towards a future where hip replacement surgeries are synonymous with rapid recovery, minimal pain, and enhanced mobility.
Discover a New Horizon in Hip Arthroplasty
Prof. Lee’s innovative SPAIRE Hip Replacement technique heralds a new era in orthopaedic surgery, offering a promise of enhanced recovery and improved quality of life post-surgery. If you or a loved one are contemplating hip replacement surgery, now is the time to explore this ground breaking approach.
Learn More: Delve deeper into the SPAIRE technique and Prof. Lee’s extensive expertise in orthopaedic surgery by visiting SPAIRE https://mskdoctors.com/treatments/spaire-hip
Schedule a Consultation: Your journey towards improved mobility and a pain-free life begins with a consultation. Reach out to schedule an appointment with Prof. Lee, and take the first step towards exploring the benefits of the SPAIRE Hip Replacement technique for your unique situation.
#surgery #orthopaedics #SPAIRE #THA